Migration monitoring in the Antikythera Bird Observatory through raptor monitoring takes place each year from the middle of August until the end of September (depending on the boat times), through standard methodology developed by the HOS. Monitoring is carried out from a specific point on the island, daily and for a 10 hour duration. Raptor monitoring is coordinated by the Raptor Monitoring Coordinator who leads a small group of volunteers. The Coordinator follows the directions of the ABO Project Manager, and cooperates with the Ringing Coordinator for the smooth running of the project.
More specifically the Raptor Monitoring Coordinator:
- Follows methodology developed by the HOS in order to record raptor migration
- Opportunistically records resting species with emphasis on raptors
- Compiles of the final report following the directions from the ABO Project Manager
- Contributes as required to the HOS bi-annual magazine
- Updates daily ABOs social media
- Is involved in volunteer and ABO management as directed by the ABO Project Manager
- Excellent and proven raptor identification abilities
- Experience in biodiversity data collection and management
- Experience in report writing
- Good communicator
- Willingness to teach volunteers raptor monitoring methodology
- Driving license
- Ability to endure 10hr long monitoring sessions in an arid and hot environment
- Very good command of the English language
- Greek speaker
Food, accommodation and the boat transfer to and from the island from the port of Piraeus is covered by the project.
For more Information about the Antikythera Bird Observatory please visit:
APPLICATIONS TILL 08/07/2014
More environmental jobs
For environmental jobs, visit EnvironmentJobs.com, a global portal for environmental jobs and resumes.